numinput labels, style

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Thu Apr 11 00:30:35 BST 2002

On Wednesday, 10 April 2002 18:31, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > i)
> >
> > Label:
> > ===========
> > ii)
> > Label: ============
>
> I would go for ii) unless you have a convincing argument why that would be
> inconvenient.

No argument. It's just that right now both forms are used in different GUIs
across KDE, and I think it's quite an important (although subtle) HCI issue.
No matter what we pick as standard, it's important that all occurences of
such constructs be made the same way.

I also favor the ii), as it is more readable. But the clinch is that it's more
readable for left-to-right readers.

The KNumInput widget has a label attribute that can be placed (with the
setLabel method) anywhere around the slide. Yet, the default is the case i)
and not the case ii).

In some (many?) places, KNumInput isn't even used this way. A separate label
(and the afferent layouting complexification) is used instead.

Anyways, this is nitpicking. I'm not subscribed to the kde-look list, but I
hope the (more competent than me) people there will draw a conclusion on this
and add a note to the styleguide.

Thanks

CT