CD Bake Oven in KDE3.1 (not a great name)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Apr 9 20:51:54 BST 2002

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 02:05 am, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Apr 2002, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Seperate as in 3 modules for 3 applications? I rather go for a scheme
> > where we have a limited number of CVS modules and source tarballs from
> > which multiple binary packages are build.
>
> Yes, sure. but nobody was yet able to design the build system for something
> like that. And I thought this was about applications with heavy
> dependencies (like the to-be-written kdeedu application using java
> bindings) mainly, not about adding redundant sets of apps to modules.

I think both issues are rooted in the same problem which is that grouping
arbitrary programs in modules is very convenient for us, developers, but it
is not necasserily the best solution for end-users.

As far as the build system goes, from the looks of
master:/home/ftp/pub/kde/stable/3.0/Conectiva/7.0/RPMS.kde that seems to be a
solvable problem. It's just that up to now the "big packages approach" was
considered the best solution.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com