SVG icons

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Mon Apr 8 20:35:07 BST 2002

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:

> > But if the intermediate goal (for say the 3.x range) is to have .svg
> > as source format and to get an svg icon set compiled (rendered) into
> > a .png based icon set at build time, then why is there a need to
> > have libart and all that stuff in kdecore?
> "libart and all that stuff"
>
> libart could go into ie. kdesupport, sth like that.
> but "all that stuff", i think you mean ksvgicon*.cpp, needs to stay there
> because kdelibs/pics would need a conversation to png then?

As said already: It is libart in kdelibs which disturbs us, and rightly
so.  The classes written by yourself, for using libart, and converting
svg->png and whatnot, those are appropriate for kdelibs, just like
other buildtools, e.g. dcopidl.  Just libart needs another place, if we
want to have our own at all, which only you can judge, depending on how
wide it's already distributed.  I would guess, not very, so libart in
kdesupport seems right.  Maybe even the full version, not a stripped down
one, so the other KDE programs can make use of it without having their own
copy.

Ciao,
Michael.