Question about kdeinit

David Leimbach leimbacd at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 2 14:32:10 BST 2002

> For those that aren't quite knowledgable about these things, would
> somebody
> mind briefly explaining what the "kdeinit hack" does, and what gcc 3.1
> will
> help to sort out (just the pre-linking)?

I will try... AFAIK the kdeinit hack is a bunch of pre-forked kdeinit
processes that are pre-bound to some shared libraries which are going to
be needed sooner or later to decrease the overall startup time of KDE
programs.  The late binding of virtual tables generated by g++ was
taking a really really long time so this can be thought of as a means of
pre-binding.

I have no idea if gcc-3.1 can do pre-linking.  The objprelink program
was able to accomplish some of these things so the kdeinit hack wasn't
necessary.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dave Leimbach [Leimy]