[Kwin] Re: Fwd: KDesktop patch - usefull?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at sh.cvut.cz
Mon Apr 8 14:23:38 BST 2002

On Mon 8. April 2002 14:48, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Monday, 08 April 2002 06:54, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Mon 8. April 2002 12:27, David Faure wrote:
> > > What do people think about this feature?
> > > Anyone willing to make a config option for it?
> > >
> > > From: Jason Keirstead <t126r at unb.ca>
> > > To: faure at kde.org
> > >
> > > I wrote this little patch and I think others would find it extremely
> > > usefull as well. It duplicates the functionality in E whereby if you
> > > scroll the mousewheel on your desktop, it switches virtual desktops
> > > either backward or forward depending on the direction.
>
> Such a functionality has definitely nothing to do with kdesktop. KDesktop
> doesn't even know if there are many desktops or not. The functionality
> should be implemented in kwin. We shouldn't abuse dcop for things that can
> be done with traditional coding. I doubt, as Lubos says, that it's of any
> use for people other than those using focusUnderMouse (which I believe are
> rare). But I will see what I can do about it and try to implement it
> correctly. It's in my TODO.

 In KWin you'd  have to XSelectInput() for MousePressEvent on either the root
window or kdesktop's window, and only one client may do that, so KWin could
sometimes fail depending on running apps (maybe xsnow or things like that).

 Thinking about it, the functionality belongs to kdesktop after all - it's
kdesktop that the mouse is scrolled above. I think the attached patch may go
in ... after somebody makes a config option for it defaulting to false (we
didn't agree upon who this somebody will be yet, did we :) ? )

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak at suse.cz ; l.lunak at kde.org
 http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli