Post-MegaRelease projects

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Fri Feb 23 13:06:16 GMT 2024

Same with http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/qt6_wayland_robustness/

> * GNOME's Libadwaita app platform has been a runaway success for them;
> evaluate our offerings in comparison and see what we can do better

I see multiple reasons:

- Libadwaita apps are beautiful. They look modern and super clean, they also
have excellent UX and are super simple to use.
- Libadwaita deliver on the promise of working on mobile and desktop. We can
do it too but it requires so much boilerplate in every apps, using Kirigami
Addons, it's not at all so well documented and it's missing a lot of
polishing.
- Libadwaita has binding for many programming language. I think if we could
have at least a good stories for Python, it would help. I added a GSoC idea
about this
- Libadwaita has tons of example in their Workbench app
  https://apps.gnome.org/Workbench/  I started working on something similar
here https://invent.kde.org/carlschwan/kirigami-workbench but I think the app
should be rewritten with KtextEditor and QtWidgets because the QML text editor
is just to bad.

Also their developers are super active on Mastodon and post all the time about
their progress on new components, we really need to be more pro-active there
too.

> * Unified theming infrastructure for KDE apps, GTK apps, and Plasma.
> ** Relatedly: QML/JS in themes is dangerous; move away from it
> * Start adding release notes to our apps' AppStream metadata [2]

We can already add release notes to our apps and some apps are doing it
https://apps.kde.org/itinerary/ but it's only in English

That we need to improve:
- extract the text, translate it and then publish the translation online for
the new AppStream 1.0  (ideally on apps.kde.org)
- Stop removing old release notes by default for our apps. Apps can opt-out of
this mechanism but really they shouldn't have to do this...

> * Finish up and ship the new Breeze icons
> * HIG is outdated and mostly ignored, and needs an overhaul to make it
> useful
> * Telemetry system has not proved to be very useful and needs an overhaul
> * store.kde.org is full of low-quality or broken content; make a push
> for KDE people to take ownership of content moderation, QA, etc. Also
> any relevant and needed tech improvements
> * Our virtual keyboard situation is not great and needs focused work
> * KWallet needs an overhaul

I think forking KeepassXC and adding a Kirigami UI to it might be a good way
forward with this task. The format used by Keepass is supported on a lot of
platforms and they implement quite a few security features (e.g. yubikey). We
just need to make sure that we have a migration path.

Alternatively we could use the new gpgpass app, but I fear the gpg workflow is
not ideal for new users.

> * Have KWin (optionally) remember window positions on Wayland
> * Build a "System misconfiguration detection hub" app [3]

* Add a Spiel backend to Qt Text to Speech module

Spiel is the successor of speech dispatcher, see
https://blog.monotonous.org/2024/01/10/Introducing-Spiel/

* Rework our online account integration

An idea I have is to move away from KAccounts/signond/account-sso since it's a
standard that is used only by anyway and instead provide Qt Plugins that setup
Akonadi/NeoChat/Nextcloud/Tokodon/GDrive/<insert your favorite KDE app
here>/... and are provided by the app themselves so that we don't have to
duplicate all the login logic in the app and in the online account KCM.

Cheers,
Carl