internal communication | aligning info across communication channels

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Wed Aug 30 17:47:27 BST 2023

This is a follow up to an issue I brought up in the Akademy presentation
on internal communication: aligning information across communication
channels.

tl;dr If you are an admin of a communication channel or an active
contributor to a project, make sure information about communication
channels for your team are aligned across channels. If they are not,
please update information in all relevant places (website, wiki, mailing
list or Matrix room description, etc.).

The goal: to make it as easy as possible for new contributors to know
where to contact teams and get started!

_Problem_

Depending on your entry point, new contributors may find different
information about where/how to communicate with teams.

In the Akademy presentation I used examples from local community groups,
but it applies to other teams as well.

When information is not aligned across communication channels,
on-ramping paths will be inconsistent, fragmentation can occur, and
there is a general lack of discoverability across channels of communication.

We can change this.

_Proposal_

Provide consistent information across communication channels for your
team/group. I see two basic ways to go about this (or a combination of
the two):

  (1) *Centralized Info*: Provide a link to one central place (the
project website, a wiki page, etc.) where the various communication
channels for your team/group are listed, and a brief description of each
channel; see below for more. This link can then be included at all
relevant communication channels (e.g., wiki, Matrix room description,
mailing list description, Discuss, etc.).

  (2) *Decentralized Info*: At each channel provide a list of /all other
communication channels/ for your team/group (Matrix room description,
mailing list description, Discuss, etc.), and a brief description of
each channel; see below for more. This way, regardless of where a
contributor starts, information about the other communication channels
will always be immediately available.

_Information To Include In The Description_

The information to include in the description includes:

  * Communication channels relevant for the team/group (website, wiki
page, mailing list, Matrix/IRC room, GitLab repo, Bugzilla, blog, etc.)
  * Links to the above channels
  * Short description of what the channel is used for (announcements,
long-form discussion, live chat, etc.)
  * What contributors can expect there (low or high traffic, end user
support, developer discussions, etc.)

_Defining The Channel's Scope_

You may not be able to tell by looking at me, but I really like things
to be orderly :)

I know there is a lot of overlap in how various communication channels
are used, but I suggest defining a clear scope for each channel and
communicating that explicitly in the description. For example (general
idea):

  * Mailing list (low traffic): for long-form discussions and
announcements -- primarly for internal communication (for live chat,
please use Matrix/IRC; for user support, use Discuss)
  * Matrix room (high traffic): for quick developer questions, short
discussions, development suggestions -- primarly for internal
communication (for longer discussions or announcements, please use the
mailing list; for user support, use Discuss)
  * Discuss: for end user support and announcements -- primarly for
external communication (for internal communication, please use the
mailing list or Matrix room)
  * Bugzilla: for bug reports; make sure to read
https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/Issue_Reporting for issue
reporting guidelines
  * Etc.

Again, I know many communication channels are not used categorically for
one thing or another, so adapt this suggestion as you see fit.
Nevertheless, I imagine there are benefits when new contributors have
clear information about the scope of a communication channel, and it may
save some time and energy for teams when new contributors land in the
right place right away.

I will follow up on this late September to see how things look across
the various teams. If you have any questions or comments, want some
support for this, or simply disagree with my proposal, please feel free
to write to me or respond to the list.

Note: I will be away from the computer for most of the first half of
September. If you write me in this time, I will definitely get back to
you asap after 18 September.

Cheers,
Joseph

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social