[announcement] Telegram bridging to be retired Wed. 20 Sept. | 5 to-dos

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Wed Aug 23 17:50:53 BST 2023

On Wednesday, 23 August 2023 17:04:04 CEST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 23. August 2023 16:55:25 CEST Niccolò Ve wrote:
> > > Postponing the deadline is not ideal, since there always will be people
> > > jumping out saying "Why wasn't I told" "Was it discussed before" again
> > > and again.
> >
> > Please note that the community was never told about this decision before
> > yesterday, and it was never discussed publicly.
>
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2023q2/007656.html

That link is denouncing the very thing, that all this was going on without the
wider community's knowledge . It hardly counts as an official announcement.

Besides, you have to stop assuming that because you published something once
on some internal outlet, you are covered.

The people this is going to affect most (i.e. the Telegram end users) don't
read mailing lists or know what a BoF is. Most people who are using our apps
and are discussing them on Telegram are barely off of Whatsapp and probably
don't even know what KDE is.

But they are your users. They are the ones you can ask to donate when you need
resources to carry on developing your project, they make up the numbers  we
can quote when we want to convince would-be sponsors, they are the "everyone"
mentioned in KDE's vision.

I am always surprised on occasions like this of how little some people here
care. Other projects would  be over the Moon to have this user base, but here
it seems like it is perfectly okay to cut hundreds of users off completely
because of a technical issue.

Very puzzling.

Cheers

Paul