[announcement] Telegram bridging to be retired Wed. 20 Sept. | 5 to-dos

Vincent Pinon vpinon at kde.org
Wed Aug 23 09:34:37 BST 2023

Le 23/08/2023 à 03:40, Paul Brown a écrit :

> Kdenlive is another example where most users on both the Spanish and
> English channels are largely on Telegram.

Hello,

As a (former/on pause) kdenlive dev & community member, I used to switch
between forums, bugzilla, mailing list, phabricator, gitlab, reddit,
telegram and IRC/matrix (the bridges failing regularly, I had the habit
to access the channel from either Telegram, IRC or Matrix depending on
the mood or device under hands).
Telegram itself had a general user channel, a "development" channel
(more oriented on technical questions, with dev topics only during
GSoC), +French/Spanish/Portugese...
Each communication channel as its own sub-community, with its own level
of skills & associated questions, interest in basic or new features,
advice accuracy, involvement in growing the software...
Also, even with huge number of listeners, only few of them were
participating in discussion, and those motivated ones were generally
registered and active on several channels.

In the case of my Kdenlive experience, I don't feel that connecting 2 of
these channels (telegram-IRC) is so dramatically important. I rather
felt the bridging artifacts more annoying (users duplication, quoting
"ircsomebot", truncating messages, messages delays...)
We shouldn't shutdown the telegram channel, letting this mutual help
community live its own life (like reddit for example), just letting them
aware that there is an official community channels (pinned message
linking to IRC-matrix).
KDE members are of course free to participate in discussions anywhere
they want, but loading KDE resources (sysadmin team & machines) with all
possible proprietary network doesn't seem a priority for me.

I hope this helps,
good luck to all!

Vincent