[announcement] Telegram bridging to be retired Wed. 20 Sept. | 5 to-dos

Joshua Goins josh at redstrate.com
Tue Aug 22 19:04:56 BST 2023

To lighten the mood, I support this decision and it's good we're finally
sorting this out.

As previously discussed, I'm not sure how discussing this publicly would
change anything. As implied in the e-mail, this seems to be a decision that
had to be made between KDE and EMS (who hosts the homeserver) because hosting
a Matrix server is not free and performance isn't either. From what I've read,
it's a matter of "when", not "if".

If you are having problems working with Matrix, please let someone know (your
homeserver, the matrix org, the client(s) you use) and please don't passive-
aggressively push this away like that's going to solve anything. I believe KDE
developers are better than this. If you experience crashes in NeoChat, please
let them know. If you realize that matrix.org's website needs better SEO (it
really does 😉) then please let them know. If our own documentation in the wiki
is lacking, please let us know. I think this would be a great opportunity to
fix oversights in our onboarding.

We encourage this same contributing behaviour towards our own software, so I
think we can extend the same graciousness towards our Matrix services. I don't
think these are unsolvable problems 🙂

Thanks,
Josh