(low-frequency) mailing lists | suggestions & summary of prior thread

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed May 24 23:18:33 BST 2023

El dimecres, 24 de maig de 2023, a les 9:35:38 (CEST), Joseph P. De Veaugh-
Geiss va escriure:
> On 5/24/23 00:03, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El dimarts, 23 de maig de 2023, a les 14:10:37 (CEST), Joseph P. De
> > Veaugh-
> >
> >> Beyond typical forum functionality, Discourse integrates well with email
> >> and RSS. Something to consider for low-frequency mailing list groups:
> >> there may be projects and communities that benefit by officially moving
> >> communication to Discourse. Although I have no data to back up the
> >> claim, I suspect having users interact on a more active platform could
> >> generally increase engagement within KDE.
> >>
> >> A nice feature of Discourse is: for mailing list subscribers who wish to
> >> continue receiving posts in their mail clients,
> >
> > Is it really? I remember once that i visited, commented on a post and
> > never
> > ever got emails when people answered me on that post. I am not a crazy
> > person that plans visiting discuss.kde.org every 5 minutes just in case
> > someone has answered me, the site must send me an email and in my 1 time
> > experience it failed to do so.
>
> Is this with "mailing list mode" enabled?

No, because it from your description it doesn't seem what i want at all.

  I do not want to get emails for all the posts sent to all the places in the
site.
  I do not want to answer to things via email

I just want a sensible notification policy in which when someone answers to
something i posted I get a notification by email.

> I think what you are describing is related to general email settings for
> notifications. This can be found under Profile > Preferences > Emails.
> This looks like the relevant place: "Email me when I am quoted, replied
> to, my @username is mentioned, or when there is new activity in my
> watched categories, tags or topics." Perhaps check your settings there?
>
> Note there may also be relevant settings under Profile > Preferences >
> Tracking for "tracking" and "watching", word choices which do not make
> the distinction clear, in my opinion. Right now I am not well-informed
> about the options here.

It is broken, it seems watching is more intense than tracking (which my non
English brain disagrees with) and watching is what i want. It also seems
broken in which you have to set it tracking and then to watching again for it
to actually work? (according to some random forum posts)

So what i want is apparently "When I post in a topic, set that topic to
Watching"

Let's see if i ever post to discuss.k.o again it works as promised.

Cheers,
  Albert