Retirement of IRC Services and KDETalk.net (Jabber)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun May 21 21:56:00 BST 2023

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 7:44 AM Christian <kde at fuchsnet.ch> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 21. Mai 2023, 21:12:25 CEST schrieb Ben Cooksley:
>
> Hi Ben, thanks for the answer,
>
> > Pursuivant is responsible for the announcement of commits and bugs.
> > As of late we have only seen removals of this functionality (see
> >
> https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/irc-notifications/-/commits/master?ref_type=
> > heads) from channels, hence why i'm slating it for decommissioning.
> >
> > > Bouncer wise: 30 connections isn't exactly none, especially if that
> > > contains
> > > active people. These would be forced to migrate to a service (and
> register
> > > at
> > > such) which is not under KDEs control and, as far as I am aware, has a
> > > mandatory registration.  As far as memory serves some communities,
> e.g. I
> > > think krita, still had active devs / maintainers on IRC.
> >
> > Yes, there is a cost-benefit analysis to all services we run however -
> and
> > if there is a minimal number of people benefiting from it, sometimes it
> is
> > time to retire a service.
>
> I guess we have at least found one community in KDE, a bigger one I'd say,
> that spoke up that they are using it, so maybe best check with them first.
> Also
> given that so far the vast majority of answers was not in favour of
> decommissioning, given the (from what I see) very low cost it should
> probably
> be re-evaluated.

Not sure which one of the several services i've referred to here that
you're commenting on, so bit difficult to respond here, however:

For the BNC, nobody from the Krita community is a user of it.

sKreamer is as noted, impacted by the fact it cannot run on modern
distributions.

The only service it seems there is particular interest in some areas
retaining is pursuivant?
(which is probably best done by replacing it with a Maubot instance)

> Of course that doesn't apply to the systems that have to be replaced due
> them no longer being maintained / supported, but unless we run into
> security
> issues it would be nice to have a, from what I gather already planned,
> replacement before they are taken out.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Christian

Cheers,