Drupal sites within KDE

Scott Petrovic scottpetrovic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:00:40 BST 2022

We might need to have both WordPress and Hugo for now. For the case of
Krita, we are currently on WordPress and moving to Hugo. WordPress does
have an easier to use admin for writing posts and managing content. That is
probably my main concern when going to a markdown editor for writers - but
markdown isn't that terrible for a lot of basic news posts which is what we
do the most. These are a few of the reasons we were looking for
alternatives to WordPress for krita.org

   1. WordPress is more cumbersome for translations. There is no good
   process for extracting and getting content in the WordPress database into
   our KDE translation team. This means a lot more manual work for me creating
   new languages in WordPress and manually updating content. It is also me
   manually moving PO and MO files around on the server any time translations
   need to be updated.
   2. Many of the fancy layouts and theme files need special server access
   to change. Right now I am the only person that changes a lot of the things
   on the krita.org website. It would be nice if krita.org was more
   accessible and changeable by other people. We get around this to a certain
   degree using a lot of custom variables in WordPress, but it gets pretty
   messy with all the pages we have. I don't like being the bottleneck for
   changes all the time.
   3. WordPress is more difficult for setting up. WordPress is relatively
   easy for a web developer person, but it is a lot more work to get a site
   running locally on your computer since it needs a database. While this is
   more self-serving for programmers, it is nice to have a  website that non
   web developers can easily run and modify without having knowledge on
   setting up a web development environment.

These aren't points to convince people that they should all move away from
WordPress. This situation might be unique to Krita with its needs. It seems
like there are sites that we will want to keep on WordPress because it does
everything they need. We are starting to have a number of sites run on Hugo
too. I could see it be nice to have a front-end option for people that are
using Hugo like the Netlify CMS front-end.