Drupal sites within KDE

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 21:05:05 BST 2022

On Fri, 12 Aug 2022, 6:53 am Paul Brown, <paul.brown at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, 11 August 2022 15:47:09 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> offers
> > >>
> > > :(
> > >
> > > Great interface for writers, though. As this is going to be used for
> > > mostly
> > > writing, that should be taken into account also.
> >
> > I agree with both of you: WP is kinda sucky for developers, but pretty
> > great for users. That said, assuming those who maintain it don't have
> > major problems (as Ben indicated) perhaps it would make sense as the
> > direction to move in.
> >
> > Selfish detail: my weekly blog runs on Wordpress and I've been thinking
> > of moving the "This Week in KDE" posts to KDE infrastructure and opening
> > it up to more contributors, so having an existing WordPress instance
> > that the content would be plugged into would ease the transition.
>
> ... And, all things considered, the current Drupal set up gives us the
> worst
> of both worlds: the writing interface is horrendous and buggy, its markup
> inconsistent, the layout features non-existent, uploading and embedding
> media
> is tedious, and, according to the devs that have had to deal with its
> backend,
> it is bad there too.
>
> If compromise is a state where nobody is happy, well, that's Drupal. But
> in a
> bad way.

Based on the thread above it sounds like Drupal is something nobody is
particularly happy with.

Which means we definitely should switch to something else.

Netlify I recall being mentioned previously -  Paul could you take a look
at it and see if it suits for Promo purposes?

Static sites are much better from a scalability perspective so are
preferred to dynamic ones from my side, but if Netlify doesn't work out it
seems like WordPress might be our next best option (even if the code isn't
the best)

Cheers,
Ben