Future of Web Single Sign On in KDE

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Jul 19 21:14:46 BST 2022

On Wed, 20 Jul 2022, 12:39 am Kenny Duffus, <kenny at kde.org> wrote:

> On 19 July 2022 13:46:36 CEST, "Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss" <joseph at kde.org>
> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >On 7/18/22 17:47, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >> One idea is to allow signing in with different commonly used identity
> providers
> >> (like Google, etc.) for our more user-centric websites where we cannot
> expect
> >> most people to have an account at invent.kde.org already.
> >>

> >Is there not a potential tracking issue with allowing Google or other
> data-mining companies to be KDE's identity provider? [1]
> >

> this is only suggested for the user facing sites. those with a
> gitlab/identity account would login with that account to them as well as
> our non user services
>
> however this doesn't seem to offer any good privacy respecting option for
> our users to use
>
> >This seems to me to be at odds with KDE's vision: "A world in which
> everyone has control over their digital life and enjoys freedom and
> privacy."
> >
> >Of course one could argue it is the user's choice to use the service, but
> embedding such services in KDE's infrastructure suggests our community
> condones this kind of (potential) tracking.
> >

> I agree
>
> education of privacy is something we also aim for and sending a message
> that this is "normal" seems off
>
> Is there any other OIDC option that isn't good enough to replace identity
> but could function ok for basic accounts for users? I know running more
> stuff isn't great?

Our user facing sites were excluded from the original proposal.

They will be outside our universal accounts system as there is only a small
number of them (2 that I can think of - Forum and Bugzilla) and the benefit
of linking them in is small (with colossal costs).

Users will directly register on those sites.

Cheers,
Ben