Press Release: Okular, world's first eco-certified software product!

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Wed Mar 16 10:43:52 GMT 2022

Dear Jos,

yes, it is very exciting news for Okular and KDE! :)

Thank you for your questions. The Blue Angel award criteria for desktop
software can be found here:

https://www.blauer-engel.de/en/productworld/resources-and-energy-efficient-software-products

You can find all of KDE's Blue Angel applications at the following link,
including for Okular. Unfortunately, we received no specific feedback
from RAL, the awarding body, beyond successful fulfillment of the criteria.

  https://invent.kde.org/teams/eco/blue-angel-application

KDE Eco and allied organizations like SDIA's SoftAWARE project are
working on tools for measuring energy consumption and integration into
CI pipelines. KDE Eco is currently planning to set up a community lab at
KDAB Berlin in the very near future (April?). We will document the
process so others can follow our lead, and of course the lab will be
available for KDE and the FOSS community. The first step to driving down
the energy consumption will be measuring how much energy a program
already consumes. For CI integration check out the SoftAWARE project:

   https://sdialliance.org/steering-groups/softawere

By the way these are the kinds of conversations we are pushing in the
KDE Eco project. All are welcome to join through one of our many
channels or at our monthly community meetup on the 2nd Wednesday of the
month at 19 CET.

   https://eco.kde.org/get-involved/

All the best,

Joseph

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
BE4FOSS Project and Community Manager (KDE Eco)

---
KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!

Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @BE4FOSS at mastodon.social
Mailing list: