We can now accept donations through GitHub

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Thu Jan 6 16:36:06 GMT 2022

Dear Fellow Community Members,

Happy New Year!

KDE can now take donations via GitHub. Each project has a "sponsor" slug when
it is listed, and a [❤️] button in the column on the left of the project
itself. Both take users to KDE's main GitHub  donations page at:

https://github.com/sponsors/KDE

Note this is not the best way of collecting donations, either for donors or
KDE, as we have to pay VAT for donations coming from the USA via GitHub. But
it will be convenient for many.

If it is an option, we would recommend re-directing would-be donors to our
regular donations page at

https://kde.org/community/donations/

Another thing is that, if your project has a way of collecting donations
directly (i.e. it is a registered legal entity and has its own bank account),
you can include a special configuration file in your repository which will re-
direct people to your project's own GitHub donations page.

For more details on how to do this, see here:

https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/managing-your-repositorys-settings-and-features/customizing-your-repository/displaying-a-sponsor-button-in-your-repository

Cheers

Paul
--