How do we feel about non 100% KDE job offers being sent here?

Agustin Benito (toscalix) abenito at kde.org
Thu Nov 25 17:29:26 GMT 2021

Hello,

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 5:06 PM Filipe Saraiva <filipe at kde.org> wrote:

> Em 25/11/2021 10:44, Albert Astals Cid escreveu:
> >
> > I think my opinion at this point would be "Let companies sent job
> > offers to this list and if it becomes unmanageable we say 'OK, was
> > worth a try, but it's not working, please don't send anymore'"
> >

> +1

We should try.

Let me explain though why I think a mailing list might not work.

* As soon as the list become successful, it will bring the attention of job
hunters and agencies.
* We will have then to moderate the list, which will require effort and
will bring friction.
   * The more successful we get the more friction we will experience.
* Companies posting job openings will be contacted by headhunters offering
people. Others will send candidates to the contact mail from the job
opening. Others might...
* Unqualified engineers, even outside KDE might use the job posting in our
mailing list as reference, with the hit in reputation....

All these and other cases might be perceived as "good problems to have", as
a sign of success, but the truth is that we are not professionals in the
field and the risk to manage them incorrectly is very high. Head Hunting is
a very competitive and frequently nasty industry.

We are mature and trusted enough to help our community members to find
jobs, especially to the younger ones. Let's make an agreement as eV with a
reputed talent agency with solid background in Open Source. Let the
professionals help us instead of getting into something that can blow up in
our faces.

> --
> Filipe Saraiva
> http://filipesaraiva.info/