Extending the license policy to include ODbL-1.0

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Sep 15 16:26:57 BST 2021

Hi,

there's a MR [1] for ki18n containing data tables generated from OSM data,
which implies the ODbL-1.0 license [2]. We also already have other places
([3], [4]) actually doing this.

However that's a license not yet covered by our license policy, so I suggest
we add it.

ODbL is essentially LGPL-y but for data rather than code, so conceptually
compatible with our existing licensing.

It's also not like there's any viable alternative to OSM data, so not doing
this would imply not being able to implement features integrating OSM-derived
data.

The proposed addition to the policy section of https://community.kde.org/
Policies/Licensing_Policy would be:

# ''Geographic data'', in particular data based on or derived from
OpenStreetMap may be licensed under the '''[https://spdx.org/licenses/
ODbL-1.0.html Open Data Commons Open Database License v1.0]'''.

What do you think?

Regards,
Volker

[1] https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki18n/-/merge_requests/19