Chat blocking under 16s from KDE

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Aug 2 14:22:44 BST 2021

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 at 11:09, Christian <kde at fuchsnet.ch> wrote:

> > If KDE is restricting who can take part in our activities, against our
> > historical practice, without prior discussion and solely because we are
> > reliant on a third party service we should move to a different service.
>

> As far as the "move to a different service" goes: please not again. Also
> this
> age restriction is due to local laws (e.g. COPPA) and will most likely
> affect
> every commercial third party service we use, so unless we want to start
> self-
> host or use something existing that isn't affected (which is a bit
> limited)
> I doubt there are many options left. Mostly because these services, for
> user
> convenience, do have to store data, including chat log, which makes them
> subject to these laws.

COPPA seems to be for children under 13 so I doubt that's relevant here
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=4939e77c77a1a1a08c1cbf905fc4b409&node=16%3A1.0.1.3.36&rgn=div5

The GDPR tends to require children under 16 to get parental consent before
signing up to things, but that is the same for all our services there's no
reason why this should be different.

Saying some people need to stay off a KDE service seems like an arbitrary
limitation that will restrict who can be welcomed into our community.

Jonathan