Chat blocking under 16s from KDE

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Aug 2 10:58:20 BST 2021

I've been notified by a 13 year old who wants to help KDE that he is unable
to log into our chat setup on Matrix because the privacy policy blocks
anyone under 16.

https://kde.modular.im/_matrix/consent?v=1.0
"You must be at least 16 years old to use this Service (webchat.kde.org) "

https://webchat.kde.org/privacy_policy/en/privacy_notice.html
"We never knowingly collect or maintain information in the Service from
those we know are under 16, and no part of the Service is structured to
attract anyone under 16. If you are under 16, please do not use the
Service."

This is contrary to
https://webchat.kde.org/privacy_policy/en/code_of_conduct.html
"Although this list cannot be exhaustive, we explicitly honour diversity in
age"

If KDE is restricting who can take part in our activities, against our
historical practice, without prior discussion and solely because we are
reliant on a third party service we should move to a different service.

Jonathan