The status of freenode (the IRC network used by KDE)

Kenny Duffus kenny at kde.org
Tue Jun 15 14:59:09 BST 2021

On Tuesday, 15 June 2021 14:50:51 BST Andrius Štikonas wrote:
> Given the imposion today, can we not just close old matrix rooms with m.room.tombstone and point them to new rooms linked to Libera?
> In the short term that might be a bit disruptive because matrix users will have to switch to new rooms. But it we
> keep waiting too long we might end up in a bigger mess. And at least IRC users showed that they are capable of
> switching servers, so maybe we shouldn't assume that matrix users are less capable.

On matrix we have a large number of users and the issues of aliases which complicates stuff, so that is why we are choosing to migrate them. Just be patient a bit longer

On IRC nothing can be done to migrate users which is why they are unfortunately left to move themselves

--

	Kenny
	(Pronouns: he/him)