The status of freenode (the IRC network used by KDE)

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed May 19 18:45:14 BST 2021

Am Mittwoch, 19. Mai 2021, 10:34:26 CEST schrieb Christian:
> Dear KDE community,
>
> KDE has been using the free services of the freenode IRC networks for a
> little bit more than two decades, and hopefully happily and successfully
> so.

Thanks for informing us. This sounds horrible and must have been a very
stressful time for all of you staffers.

> Due to this leakage, Andrew Lee (former PIA/LTM, now shells.com)
> learned of the new situation and asked democratically elected
> freenode volunteers to step down from their position, as seen in the
> logs linked on [4] [5] [6]
> Therefore making the takover attempt and some details public.

Given that this is driven by shells.com I think the KDE community should step
up and remove all references to shells.com. Their behavior in this case goes
clearly against our values.

Best regards
Martin Flöser