KDiff3 release

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Mon May 3 13:51:16 BST 2021

Le lundi, mai 3, 2021 2:30 PM, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> a écrit :

> On Monday, 3 May 2021 13:00:11 CEST kde-announce-apps-request at kde.org wrote:
>
> > 1.  KDiff3 1.9.0 released (Michael Reeves)
> >
> > From: Michael Reeves reeves.87 at gmail.com
> > KDiff3 1.9.0 is now released.
> > It can be found at https://download.kde.org/stable/kdiff3/
> > kdiff3-1.9.0.tar.xz.mirrorlist
>
> Yay! This reached our (FreeBSD) packaging yesterday because the tarballs went
> up on the download site. It leaves me slightly scratching my head, because
> of inconsistencies -- that's why I'm CC'ing kde-community, where "All about
> the Apps" is a KDE goal topic and it's good to get more exposure.
>
> > Partial Change log:
>
> So, KDiff3 is not part of the KDE Gear process. That's cool -- that's why we
> get separate release announcements for it :)
>
> I see there's a tag on invent, but no GitLab-style release. Have you
> considered doing those as well? It's one way of making release notes easier to
> find (not just hidden on a mailing list like this one).

This might sound like a good idea but isn't one. The gitlab-style release has
the problem that they don't include the translations and the solution is to add
a link to the actual tarball. But this also creates confusion because then there
are two tarballs with different content for the same release. :( There are some
ideas on how to fix it and I think the localization team would appreciate a helping
hand (or two). See https://phabricator.kde.org/T13519

> The AppData release info was bumped, but only on the release branch; that
> means that KDE's apps pages (e.g. https://apps.kde.org/kdiff3/) still show
> outdated information.

While at it, it's also a good practice to add a link to the announcement and
some data like links to the tarballs/exe/appimage/... The appstream documentation has more info
about it: https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Metadata.html#tag-releases

apps.kde.org will show most of the optional information if available. I'm looking
into making this release information also available as RSS feeds. It's also available
as part of the apps.kde.org semi-public API: https://apps.kde.org/appdata/org.kde.kontrast.json

While at it I would like to point out to https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/appstream-metainfo-release-update/-/merge_requests/3,
since the AppStream updater used by the release service removes this precious
information and this is why I stopped adding them to Kontrast AppStream file :(

> I'm a bit confused by the (AppData) "homepage" URL, since that leads round-
> aboutly to the apps page; I think my confusion is because that URL is shown as
> "project homepage" on apps.kde.org, but doesn't effectively do anything. (So
> it's more a website-generator confusion than about your specific app)

Yeah, this is a problem on the website generator side. If someone is interested
to fix it, it probably just needs to add some if condition here:
https://invent.kde.org/websites/apps-kde-org/-/blob/master/layouts/applications/single.html#L225

This documentation might help you: https://gohugo.io/functions/in/. Patch welcome :D