Releasing a non-KF5 library under MIT License

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Wed Mar 31 19:49:35 BST 2021

On Mittwoch, 31. März 2021 01:52:02 CEST Alexander Potashev wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 12:54 AM Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>
[...]
> > 4. Source files that are part of a library with a public API which is part
> > of the KDE Platform (kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kde-runtime and KDE Frameworks)
> > must be licensed under:
> > [... licenses, including: ...]
> >
> >  * MIT: MIT license as listed below.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > 5. Any other source files must be licensed under one of the terms listed
> > under 4) or:
> > [ other licenses]
>
> Makes sense. Thanks for pointing this out!
>
> (IOW the licensing policy "KDE Platform" is even tighter and for the
> other projects, and this is great for me!)

Hi, the idea behind this policy is to ensure that code can (somehow) easily be
moved between KDE projects. Most permissive licenses are completely fine to
achieve this goal as long as they are compatible with the (L)GPL versions that
the majority of the code is licensed under. -- This is the case for MIT.

Luckily, as Luigi pointed out, our policy already says that MIT is OK to be
used :)

Cheers,
Andreas