Releasing a non-KF5 library under MIT License

Jonah BrĂ¼chert jbb at kaidan.im
Tue Mar 30 23:26:48 BST 2021

Hi Alexander,

To clarify, the MIT licensed files in Kaidan are third party files which
are not available as libraries and needed to be copied into the Kaidan
repository, with the exception of the generate-license.py script.

All the actual code of Kaidan is GPL licensed.

Of course this does not mean anything about whether it is generally
wanted to host MIT-licensed code on KDE Infrastructure.

Am 31.03.21 um 00:16 schrieb Alexander Potashev:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to release a Go library under the terms of the MIT
> License and host it at invent.kde.org. The library definitely won't
> fit in KF5 because it has nothing to do with Qt.
>
> The https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy says I can't
> do this because (according to this policy) the MIT License is only
> allowed for parts of the "KDE Platform". Can we please review the
> policy and stop this discrimination against projects that don't happen
> to be part of the "KDE Platform"?
>

> P.S.  It seems like MIT is already used outside of the "KDE Platform":
>   - https://invent.kde.org/network/kaidan (at least two files are under
MIT)