On the reappointment of Richard Stallman as a director of the FSF

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Mar 25 05:05:09 GMT 2021

On 25/03/2021 06.15, Sven Brauch wrote:
> Hi Aleix,
>
> On 3/24/21 11:26 PM, Aleix Pol wrote:
>> We have tried to sum up our thoughts in the following announcement
>> with the hope to foster collectively the Free Software leadership we
>> need.
>> https://ev.kde.org/2021/03/24/on-the-reappointment-of-rms-fsf/
>
> good work, this is a much more appropriate way to voice the concerns of
> the KDE community than the kindergarten ad-hominem screaming style of
> the open letter discussed before.
>
> It also addresses a matter that is objectively a concern, and maybe even
> relevant to us, which is how the FSF elects its board. That the
> directors themselves can elect new board members seems kind of
> undemocratic.
>
> In contrast, engaging with a mud-fight about who said what mean thing
> about which marginalized group is something that is highly polarizing,
> happens way too much these days, and often leads to division, anger and
> fear instead of improving things. I don't intend to defend Stallman in
> any way -- I'm merely saying, publicly debating his personality isn't
> going to achieve much good, and I'm supportive of KDE choosing not to be
> part of that.
>
> Best,
> Sven

I agree. The KDE e.V.'s statement points at the right issues:
governance, transparency and representation.

The FSF also seems to be conscious of this, and wanting to take
corrective steps:
https://www.fsf.org/news/preliminary-board-statement-on-fsf-governance

Let's hold our mud slings, and give them some space for self-reflection.

--
_ // Bernie Innocenti
\X/  https://codewiz.org/