RMS and open letter

Jos van den Oever jos at vandenoever.info
Tue Mar 23 20:27:00 GMT 2021

Hi Carl,

Does a free internet mean that people should be mobbed for their past
opinions? On proprietary Microsoft infrastructure no less.

In KDE, there is CWG of which we can be proud that deals with situations like
this with respect for the people on all sides of a situation.

Society is developing more awareness of differences between people and new
rules of engagements are coming and going. As humans we muddle on. A quote
from Hacker News is fitting:

"I think it is strange that, on the one hand, the tech world has been
advocating for the rights of neurodivergent people – society should accept
that people on the autism spectrum are different and that’s OK. But at the
same time RMS has been attacked for some statements very probably stemming
from his autism that, while they may seem a bit shocking and at odds with the
mainstream, were not illegal or intentionally offensive."
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26535390

How can you write "RMS has always been a negative force to the Free Software
movement due to his toxic behavior." when he is the one that started Free
Software? We have Free Software because RMS thought hard about what digital
freedom means and how we can make it a reality.

Is it sensible of FSF to reinstate Stallman? I've no idea. But I do know that
we should not damage the FSF but support them. FSF are the stewards of the
software licenses on which KDE is built.

⤳Jos