Qt6 ports of applications

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Mar 16 21:19:34 GMT 2021

Hi all!

I'm starting to see Qt6-based applications in the Open source wild. For
instance,

	https://github.com/qxmpp-project/qxmpp/releases/tag/v1.4.0
	https://audacious-media-player.org/news/51-audacious-4-1-released

These are generally "preliminary Qt6" versions, since there's no packaging of
Qt6 that I'm aware of. It's cool nonetheless, to see that some things can port
over easily.

We have a wide and deep tech stack, with some tricky compatibility
requirements of its own, but there's movement towards KF6 at
	https://community.kde.org/Sprints/KF6/
	https://community.kde.org/Sprints/KF6/2021Virtual
(note to someone: turn "KF6" into a proper landing page with pointers to sub-
pages)

My own little corner of the world, Calamares, has backwards compatibility with
Qt 5.9 in its current branch (yes, ugh) but you can bet your binaries that I'm
eager to get to a new minor version branch / bump where I can jump to
currently-supported Qt 5.15 and later.

[ade]