Formal request to set up a KDE Discourse instance

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Feb 28 10:17:49 GMT 2021

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 2:49 PM Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:

> On 2/23/21 5:34 PM, Eike Hein wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > This all sounds much too confrontational :-). Come on everyone, we can
> > do this much better.
> >
> > Ben, I don't think Nate's request implies prioritization. For folks
> > outside a particular team it can be difficult to follow what the team
> > has on their plate at the moment; you probably also wouldn't know the
> > same about Nate's VDG/QA space.
> >
> > Everyone knows that sysadmin is working hard all the time, but it has to
> > still be possible to do roadmap planning. In fact it's one of the best
> > ways to avoid getting overcommitted in the future. Declaring a goal
> > and/or agreeing to work on it in the abstract doesn't mean it has to be
> > done straight away or rushed, but it e.g. allows attracting contributors
> > to the goal to get the work done, as also seen in the thread already.
>
> Yes, Ben has made me aware that I don't actually have a good sense of
> what the sysadmin team is working on at any point in time. I'd love to
> be able to see at a glance which tasks are queued up in front of the
> things I'm eager to see done. Even something simple like a wiki page
> would be nice. It could even list ways for interested and technically
> competent people to help. That would be cool.

I've now filled in most of the items i'm aware of at
https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/task-queue/-/issues

Of notable absence is everything relating to Gitlab, including both the CI
and Tasks migration (which once complete allows for the shutdown and
archival of Phabricator). It also misses longer term goals around MyKDE and
the decommissioning of Identity. I'll look at adding the items relating to
Gitlab tomorrow.

Those items aren't in any particular order, but my current area of focus is
getting Mimi/Seleno/Micrea sorted out, as they are leftovers from the big
Maps/Storage move which took place several months back. Sorting these
should help reduce the ongoing maintenance cost we incur.

I expect that the Gitlab backups and the LXR/Pycno moves should be resolved
while that takes place as well. Sorting out the Gitlab backups is a
prerequisite to sorting out Gitlab CI, as the container currently running
Replicant is intended to be used to store the artifacts produced by our CI
scripts (while we investigated it, it appears that the packages
functionality in Gitlab won't meet our needs for dependency resolution, etc)

Depending on how critical things get with Nextcloud and scripty, those may
then need to be addressed, but otherwise Gitlab CI will be next, which will
pave the way for the shutdown of Charlotte and the decommissioning of
Anepsion (sorting scripty itself likely being a prerequisite for the
decommissioning of Anepsion)

> Nate

Cheers,
Ben