Formal request to set up a KDE Discourse instance

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Feb 23 22:25:35 GMT 2021

Hello faithful Sysadmins (with kde-community and Adam CCd),

I would like to formally request that a KDE discourse instance be set up
as a testbed for now, with the ultimate goal of replacing the somewhat
moribund forums.kde.org if people prefer it.

Over the years I've seen this suggested multiple times by multiple
people, but without much movement. Since then, the Krita people have set
up a Discourse instance themselves, outside of KDE infrastructure. Many
other FOSS communities already use Discourse, including Debian, Ubuntu,
Fedora, Manjaro, GNOME, and Mozilla.

I think it's time for us to follow suit and set up an official discourse
instance on KDE Infrastructure.

Last I heard, there was an objection based on the fact that its
deployment mechanism requires Docker. I don't care much for Docker
myself, but if it's the only way to set up Discourse, I think it's time
to bite the bullet and use it despite reservations, so we can facilitate
this longstanding request from the KDE community.

Nate