KDE Goals โ€“ a year lost, a year gained

Adam Szopa adam.szopa at kde.org
Sat Jan 23 15:28:49 GMT 2021

The year 2020 was difficult in many ways, but it also was important for me: I joined KDE
e.V. as a consultant in the role of Project Coordinator.
One of the main focuses of mine was supporting the KDE Goals[1] initiative, which
resulted in creating a formalized process[2].
As you might know (or read in the process), the KDE Goals are to be replaced roughly
every two years.
This timebox was selected to balance keeping the Goals fresh, and letting the Goal
Champions have enough time to work on the topics with the community.
Often, the goals have dedicated Sprints[3], where community members from all over the
world meet up to work together โ€“ this not only greatly accelerates the work, but also lets
the community create a stronger bond (and is a perfect opportunity to take group photos
that the Promo team can use later ๐Ÿ™‚ ).
As you might guess, the previous year was hardly an ideal one for those kind of events,
and even though Virtual Sprints did happen, they can only be a substitute for the in-
person ones.
So as the new year started, discussion about a potential extension of the current Goals
period began. An extension would mean that instead of starting the process of selecting
new Goals this year, we would do that in 2022 instead.
This has two main benefits:
     1. The current goals will get more time to finish the work that is already ongoing and
was somewhat hindered by the pandemic. And if weโ€™re lucky enough, perhaps by this
time next year we could even think about having a in-person event.
     2. The new Goal Champions will start their reign in a (hopefully) more predictable
world, with all of us having a better understanding if the vaccines will let us travel and
meet again. This will help the Champions set the scope of the Goals.
Of course there are some considerations to be made. As mentioned before, the process
assumes replacing Goals with new ones, so that they reflect the current focus of the
community. Extending the Goals forever would resolve in a discrepancy between what the
community wants, and what the KDE e.V. is promoting and helping with. However, I hope
you agree with me that the current Goals (Wayland[4], Consistency[5], and KDE is All
About the Apps[6]) are still very much relevant.
The other thing is, Championing can be a demanding task, so our current Champions
might feel exhausted with an extra year in focus. The good news is, after talking with
Mรฉven, Niccolo and Jonathan I can confirm that they are ready to extend their roles for an
additional year. Additionally, I have confirmed with the KDE e.V. Board that they are OK
with this extension as well.
So this brings me to the part, where I can officially announce, that the KDE Goals get an
extra year! I hope this will give you more time to engage[1] with the work being done as
part of this initiative, and also more time to plan out your Goal proposals for 2022 ๐Ÿ™‚
PS. Speaking of engaging in ongoing work, there is a Wayland Virtual Sprint[7] currently
active!

--------
[1] https://kde.org/goals/
[2] https://community.kde.org/Goals/Goals_Process