Telemetry questions

Christophe Giboudeaux christophe at krop.fr
Mon Nov 9 08:52:51 GMT 2020

On Sunday, 8 November 2020 18:56:35 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Is it documented? How can a system administrator prevent users from
> > turning
> > telemetry on?
>
> Outside of this, for those who prefer DNS based solutions to disabling
> Telemetry functionality, all submissions are sent to a single host at "
> telemetry.kde.org" (which should be simple enough to add to /etc/hosts or
> equivalent)
>

> > My archives may be incomplete but I can't find the reviews for plasma,
> > KMail,
> > akregator, SieveEditor, kaddressbook, korganizer and ruqola which are
> > listed
> > on https://community.kde.org/Telemetry_Use
>
> I have no record of these applications being reviewed either.

Thanks for checking.

Privacy is a sensitive subject and we can't just tell our users to trust KDE.

Considering the multiple violation of the telemetry policy, we will make sure
KUserFeedback support is disabled in openSUSE packages for the following
applications:

- akregator
- discover
- kaddressbook
- kmail
- korganizer
- pim-data-exporter
- pim-sieve-editor
- plasma (including plasmashell, systemsettings)
- ruqola

and more generally all applications that do not comply with the KDE policies
(as of today, only kate followed the rules and dolphin is under review).

As soon as compliance with the KDE telemetry policy is restored, we will
consider adding the KUserFeedback build dependency again for those
applications.

Christophe