Fundraising in KDE

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 27 22:29:32 BST 2020

On Sonntag, 27. September 2020 22:54:07 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El diumenge, 27 de setembre de 2020, a les 21:36:46 CEST, Vincent Pinon va
escriure:
> > As KDE eV can't allocate
> > money to a specific project (if I understand correctly)
>
> That's more a "historically has not wanted" than a "legally can't".

As one of the auditors of accounting I'll add that tracking money that is
allocated to a specific project will make book keeping much more complicated.
I'm not sure whether the simple tracking of income and expenses that we
currently do will be sufficient.

> It's my hope that with the recent KDE eV board public statements about them
> wanting to help people make out a living out of doing KDE stuff this may
> change.

In my opinion, paying people for doing KDE stuff (reminder: we do already pay
quite a few people for doing important KDE stuff) is orthogonal to allocating
money to specific projects. Complexity of book keeping would change from O(n)
to O(n²).

Regards,
Ingo