Fundraising in KDE

jens at ohyran.se jens at ohyran.se
Wed Sep 23 10:26:34 BST 2020

> Yes, messaging -- for Blender it's easy because there are many companies
> funding them for whom blender is a complement that replaces expensive
> alternatives. It's different for KDE, so that needs good thinking.
>
> Also... Just like Blender, KDE probably needs to setup a second legal entity
> that can fund freelance developers for certain projects or even outright
> hire them.

This part is the tricky one to me. Where is the benefit for companies to
sponsor KDE? I mean we have a group of different organizations that use Plasma
for example - but how can we leverage that in to donations?

What would we or those developers sponsored be able to deliver to those
organisations that would justify their cost?

The one thing I think could be done is contacting those organisations and
simply dig through their usage, needs and wants and see what we are missing.

That said, when we start doing this we will be tying ourselves to this model
for a while which can have drawbacks too.