Licensing BoF Notes - Akademy 2020
cordlandwehr at kde.org
Tue Sep 8 13:32:01 BST 2020
Hi, here are the notes from our today's licensing BoF:
Notes from the Licensing & SPDX BoF
* Licensing presentation:
* I want to have a website with a positive message what each of our used
SW licenses brings to the user.
* Something to which the outbound license tags of the frameworks can point
* Users of such a page:
* Add it to https://develop.kde.org/ ? -> yes
* Link from kde.org/applications -> yes
* put it on the new application website
* Ideas? Good examples what others are doing?
* see what create commons did
* include Promo and website teams in discussion
* https://develop.kde.org/frameworks/breeze-icons/ has some text about
what the licence means for you
* --> further discussion, BoF tomorrow: 9UTC
* KDE & REUSE/SPDX: where are we, next steps
* source code repositories
* focus on code files for now
* anything else after that
* encourage contributors to add themselves to copyright statement: add to
HowTo, add to policy. -> CoLa
* Idea: autogenerate the about data information from copyright statements
* What about newly created non-source-code files meanwhile? -> TASK, HowTo
* Explain in licensing howto how to best add SPDX markers to XML files (e.g
qrc, appdata) -> CoLa
* can be seen as derivative works
* Messages.sh scripts (or their successors) could be extended to respect
SPDX-License-Identifier marker and compute the PO file license
* there is a difference between content and code/formatting:
* code is AGPL
* content: could be either CC-BY-SA-4.0 or without SA
-> needs to be clarified in policy, should be discussed on community
list? -> Harald
* do we want to achieve full REUSE compliance?
* in the long run, yes
* (see above, code first; anything else later; new files shall directly get
* License Documentation Status
* What is state of the wiki: HowTo + Policy
* Explain how to add correct SPDX information to files wihtout copyright
(CC-0 info) -> CoLa
* Add section about license (in-)compatibility -> CoLa
* SPDX & REUSE Conversion Q&A:
* licensedigger usage questions?
* license questions?
* Breeze Icons and theme
* possible license change
* https://phabricator.kde.org/T12027 (So the style after all and not the
* "Jan wants this done to get it into Qt"
* how much LGPL-2.0-only & GPL-2.0-only code do we still have around that
needs to be converted?
* krop is working on this for PIM
* CoLa is working on KF5
* anybody else is very welcomed to join this effort!
[13:01] Jonathan Riddell : woo licences!
[13:01] Volker Krause : did anyone copy the notes?
[13:06] Tobias Fella : https://develop.kde.org/
[13:08] David Redondo : https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
[13:08] Arjen Hiemstra : https://creativecommons.org/about/cclicenses/
[13:08] Vlad Zahorodnii : is it okay to add questions in the shared notes?
[13:08] Volker Krause : sure
[13:08] Albert Astals Cid : or just speak :)
[13:08] Adriaan de Groot : choosealicense.com
[13:08] Adriaan de Groot : is github's license explainer
[13:11] Luigi Toscano : so can't we just link that?
[13:11] Harald Sitter : https://choosealicense.com/licenses/
[13:13] Harald Sitter : backing data appears https://github.com/github/
[13:13] Albert Astals Cid : yep
[13:13] David Redondo : https://github.com/github/choosealicense.com/tree/gh-pages/_licenses
[13:14] David Redondo : Oh to slow
[13:14] Carl Schwan : Hi :)
[13:15] Carl Schwan : tommorow morning
[13:15] Carl Schwan : ok :)
[13:16] FreeWear-Ramón : Hi Carl :)
[13:16] Nicolas Fella : aslo kde connect
[13:28] Carl Schwan : https://invent.kde.org/websites/kde-org/-/
[13:34] Harald Sitter : https://reuse.software/faq/#bulk-license
[13:43] Jonathan Riddell : https://develop.kde.org/frameworks/breeze-icons/
[13:45] Carl Schwan : https://invent.kde.org/websites/kmymoney-org
[13:46] Nicolas Fella : Rewrite everything
[13:48] Johan Ouwerkerk : there's a difference between content & code right?
[13:52] Johan Ouwerkerk : depending on license it also kind of doesn't matter
too much because the site is consumed by people who aren't granted any rights
[13:53] Johan Ouwerkerk : what volker says ^
[13:54] Volker Krause : ah, what Johan said :) (was reading notes, not chat)
[13:55] Johan Ouwerkerk : CC-BY-SA-4.0, yeah
[13:55] Johan Ouwerkerk : fits the general pattern of how we want to license
[13:56] Johan Ouwerkerk : (as opposed to raw data for which we'd use CC0)
[13:57] Carl Schwan : ok good idea to take it to the mailing list
[14:04] Nicolas Fella : IIRC he wants it in Qt
[14:05] Johan Ouwerkerk : flatpak has runtimes, so that's probably it right?
[14:06] Carl Schwan : but that does Qt have to do with flatpak?
[14:06] Johan Ouwerkerk : nothing, other than also being included in the
[14:17] Carl Schwan : a gitlab project makes more sence
[14:18] Albert Astals Cid : https://invent.kde.org/teams/flathub/issues/-/
[14:18] Carl Schwan : https://invent.kde.org/teams
[14:19] Carl Schwan : thanks CoLa :)
[14:19] Allyson Alexandrou : notes can be saved
[14:19] Allyson Alexandrou : there is a download button :)
More information about the kde-community