KDE Apps name trademarks

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Jul 28 19:50:22 BST 2020

On Monday, 20 July 2020 12:55:25 CEST Albert Vaca Cintora wrote:

> I think we should be happy there are packagers that distribute our software
> on Windows, the same way we are happy there are packages distributing our
> software on Linux distros.

Yes. The copyright licenses allow distribution of our software. We support
that. We do want to have a community of distributors who are getting our
software to end users. The trademark should not get in the way here. So our
trademark policy should be open and allow and support these cases.

What we don't want is confusion about where the software is coming from. It
should be clear if something is coming from us or from a third party. In the
case of Linux distributors this is very clear, there is no issue there. In the
case of mobile apps that can be more problematic because there is less
transparency there. That's something we probably should clarify in a trademark
policy.