Proposal: Mailing List owner policy

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jul 27 08:58:52 BST 2020

On Sonntag, 26. Juli 2020 18:31:08 CEST Philippe Cloutier wrote:
> An even bigger question, I'm afraid. When nobody steps up, what would we
> do? I wouldn't mind "moderating" this list today, for instance, since I
> found the time to read it. But I for one would not *commit* myself to
> moderate it or any other; I just don't have the required availability
> and if I had, I wouldn't guarantee I would remain available.

I'm sorry, but I have the feeling that you are making too much of a fuss about
this. Maybe you are misunderstanding what "moderating" entails. Or maybe I
misunderstood for years what moderation of a mailing list entails.

I am owner of one mailing list and moderator of another. Moderation of the
second mailing list is restricted to the moderation of posts that are held for
moderation mostly because those post come from unsubscribed senders (99 % of
this is SPAM). I'm not even subscribed to the second mailing list. I don't see
moderation of legit posts (i.e. posts that are not held for moderation) as my
task. This kind of moderation costs almost no time.

Regards,
Ingo