KDE Apps name trademarks

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Sun Jul 12 21:45:17 BST 2020

That being said, to answer your actual question, I would treat this in
several elements:

>    1. Do we want to trademark the names of more KDE products (I say
>    "more" since "KDE" is already trademarked, so arguably at least one product
>    is already trademarked). I personally have no strong opinion, but I agree
>    that trademarking can discourage modification. There are ways to mitigate
>    that, including publishing a trademark policy, offering a contact point to
>    ask about the acceptability of changes, and facilitating renaming, for
>    example by adding a compilation option to set a different name. I would
>    also suggest committing to publish a list of all trademark enforcement
>    actions done, so those who consider modifying can get an idea of what will
>    actually be accepted or not.
>

>    1. If we do agree to trademark more names, which names? We tend to
>    have lots of names for lots of projects, many of which I suppose may take a
>    while to be sufficiently important to justify trademarking. I propose a
>    wiki page as a way to list candidates and poll developers about each
>

>    1. For those names we do trademark, how much should the ™ symbol be
>    used? I would not like seeing it everywhere, but I do not mind seeing it in
>    the About screen, for instance.
>    2. Who would own those trademarks?

My proposal would be to trademark all app names since they are all liable
to be hijacked by third parties for whatever purposes.  It would mean
adding a ™ symbol on web pages where we promote those apps.  They would be
owned by KDE e.v.  Other apps like KOffice have done this in the past as I
say.  However it seems nobody is very much in suppose of the idea so we'll
just have to live with third parties living off our good names.

Jonathan