KDE Apps name trademarks

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Jul 9 13:18:22 BST 2020

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 at 12:29, Christoph Cullmann <christoph at cullmann.io>
wrote:

> You might be able to do that, but as soon as you start to try to keep
> people
> from using the names, the cost-free, bureaucracy-free and layer free
> zone ends.

Sending an e-mail to the Microsoft store doesn't need to cost anything, and
it would have more effect if there can be a claim of trademark.  Claiming
copyright infringement as discussed on this thread is also sensible but it
does need more work and will need at least the cost of buying kdiff3 from
their store.

> I really don't think we should start this.

Why? Nobody has given any reason against it so far.

> We would need to draft some TM use policy, too.

Yeah we'd need to write some simple policy that would allow normal uses
like Linux distros and package archives, but they're not trading using our
app names for the most part so it's not a big issue.

> Better promote our own offerings better and be done

I'm all for this as well of course :)

Jonathan