KDE Apps name trademarks

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Jul 8 17:12:49 BST 2020

Recently we've noticed some KDE apps ending up on the Microsoft Store
uploaded by unknown third parties.  Maybe to up some credit score for their
developer account.  Maybe to install bitcoin  miners.  We don't know the
motivations.  Since it's all free software the licence allows it.

One option is to claim Trademark on all our app names.  This isn't hard, we
just add the ™ onto the name anywhere we have it on our website starting
with kde.org/applications. Some apps such as KOffice have done this in the
past anyway.  This doesn't cost anything, only a registered trademark
(which uses the ®. logo) costs money.  It might give us more ability to
take down random people posting our software on app stores.  It might also
make us look more corporate than we want to look and put off Linux distros
from shipping our software.

Should we add ™ next to the app names?

Jonathan