Rectification/completion (Re: The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation)

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 04:11:33 BST 2020

Hi again,

Le 2020-06-28 à 09:49, Philippe Cloutier a écrit :
> Hi Martin,
>
> Le 2020-06-12 à 16:49, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
>> [...]
>>

> That being said, I am not saying KDEPIM (widely speaking) can't be
> improved. I personally gave up on KMail more a decade ago after seeing
> enough reports of serious issues and experiencing so many issues
> myself that I haven't even been tempted enough to give it a new try
> yet. And nevertheless, I still have serious issues with all KDEPIM
> applications I still use, i.e. KNotes and KOrganizer. One which may be
> related to Akonadi was reported years ago. I reported quite a few more
> last year, even largely providing the solution to some, but in all
> cases, to my knowledge there was no progress, even though I mentioned
> some of these issues in messages sent to this very list, most recently
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2019q4/005921.html

I don't know if this was a coincidence or if my mail prompted it, but I
must report receiving a mail whose news and tone I both appreciated much
today: https://marc.info/?l=kde-devel&m=159344847927458&w=2
It turns out that a few days after this thread begun, Glen Ditchfield
prepared a fix for one of the core issues affecting KOrganizer I was
referring to yesterday, and that fix looks great. Thank you very much
for making me wrong*, Glen.

That being said, if things go very well from here, it will still have
taken more than a year after the problem was explained to ship a
solution. And looking at Glen's work made me realize English Canada was
also affected, which means for some time KOrganizer would have been
largely broken for almost all Canadians. And we would have apparently
received at least 6 more reports in due form of the problem, the first
one in March 2019.

So in the end, this certainly doesn't change anything about Akonadi, and
can't help much with my perception of KDEPIM's state.

> [...]
>
>> [...]

* almost

--