The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Jun 13 16:35:08 BST 2020

On Saturday, 13 June 2020 09:29:36 CEST Volker Krause wrote:
> I have finite time and prioritized what seemed to have most wide-spread
> impact (all of Android and all of Flatpak vs. Akonadi/FreeBSD),

And, as time and circumstance permits, the PIM team prods me and/or tcberner
to take an extra close look.

There is a peculiar cascade going on here, which **isn't** especially PIM-
related.

1) kaccounts-integration has a binary-incompatible change going on: it changed
	explicit GetCredentialsJob(Accounts::AccountId id, QObject *parent =
nullptr);

from

	explicit GetCredentialsJob(const Accounts::AccountId &id, QObject
*parent = nullptr);

2) For whatever reason, **older** kaccounts-integration is installed on the
FreeBSD builders before Akonadi builds; this puts the old headers in /usr/
local/include

3) I don't know if new accounts-integration builds before Akonadi; if it does,
I don't know where it is installing its headers.

4) When building Akonadi, it has /usr/local/include in its search path
**ahead** of any paths that might point to the "new" accounts-integration
headers. So it picks up the old definitions, then bails out when it tries to
link to the new libraries.

I can reproduce the problem locally with kdesrc-build.

Possibly Linux CI doesn't get the same problem, because it doesn't need to
have extra system header locations (i.e. /usr/local/include) put onto the
search path, and so an older installed accounts-integration just lives in the
"default bits" which are searched last.

So if anything, what we're seeing here is a BIC that falls over because too
many pieces have to move at once, on a platform that has some special
considerations, that none of the PIM developers are on all the time. If you
want to get on their case at all, do it for "ask [ade] or tcberner earlier",
although in this particular case it wouldn't have sped things up: it's
saturday afternoon, and now I have time to look into this.

[ade]