The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Jun 13 00:36:26 BST 2020

El divendres, 12 de juny de 2020, a les 23:54:19 CEST, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 7:49 AM Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
>
> Hi all,
>

> >  don't want to add much as I'm not active anymore and have my share of
> fault
> > for not fixing certain bugs, but I'd like to reply to only one thing...
> >
> > On Friday, June 12, 2020 6:11:31 AM EEST Nate Graham wrote:
> > > However I think there is a bigger challenge that just the technical
> > > issues. My interactions in bug reports have been quite negative, I have
> > > to say, and I don't feel like the developer culture is very welcoming
> > > right now.
> >
> > Sorry if you had bad experience, not sure what happened, but I can assure
> that
> > most (or rather: all) developers I worked with in the PIM area were nice
> and
> > friendly.
>
> They are however, terrible at reading emails from the CI system. To the
> point I suspect they have filters sending such mail to the trash so it is
> never seen.
>
> Akonadi has been in a broken state for several days now on FreeBSD. They
> have received multiple notices of this to their mailing list, and yet no
> action has been taken.
>
> Because other software outside of PIM depends on Akonadi, the dependency
> builds for the CI system are unable to successfully finish (failing in
> Akonadi), meaning the CI system is now effectively unmaintainable on
> FreeBSD.
>
> Continued builds for software in Extragear and Release Service are
> therefore currently dependent on the Binary Compatibility of the system not
> being broken.
>
> Should anything happen to affect that then all of those builds will cease
> to work and be unfixable. That is a situation that I find fundamentally
> unacceptable.
>
> This type of issue has come up numerous times before, and is one that the
> PIM developers have failed to address.
>
> I'm therefore at a loss for options going forward and think that the only
> reasonable and viable solution in the long run will be to blacklist Akonadi
> from the CI system, and remove CI builds for everything with a hard
> dependency on it, including all of KDE PIM.

On the other hand maybe we just need to accept that we don't have enough people that care about FreeBSD and just remove the akonadi+dependants-FreeBSD builds and not the all the Akonadi+dependants builds.

Cheers,
  Albert