The chat situation

Christian Loosli kde at fuchsnet.ch
Fri Jun 12 21:24:05 BST 2020

Am Freitag, 12. Juni 2020, 22:13:09 CEST schrieb Andras Mantia:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday, June 12, 2020 11:03:30 PM EEST Christian Loosli wrote:
> > We use it at work with one our partners, and I was pondering to set it up
> > for a project I am involved in (no, neither KDE nor freenode) where we do
> > not want to use Matrix. Do you happen to know by chance how well it
> > bridges? These are a requirement  (Telegram and IRC, mostly).
> > Documentation
> > on that seems to be a bit stale / sparse, unless I am missing something.
>
>  Unfortunately I have no experience with bridging it at all.
>
>  Regarding using it in KDE (I know you asked for another project):

Yeah, by coincidence it would also have been mostly valid for KDE.

Time for me to spin up docker on one box and install it then, I guess. Thanks
anyway :)

>  I'm not
> convinced for a project as KDE any of the alternatives mentioned would be as
> easy to use as freenode, most of them need an account, self hosting,
> managing probably a lot of users and a big database, and has the problems
> you mentioned about the legality of storing the conversations.

Neither am I. Hence I'm pretty sure that no matter what solution we choose: it
will contain multiple protocols / solutions, or it will alienate people for
very valid reasons and fragment us, which I'd rather avoid.

So I'd prefer fixing the papercuts in the existing solutions, and fortunately
aside from Telegram (where only the client is) every thing we use is FOSS and
specified (fsvo for IRC, I am aware), and we are a rather big communtiy with
lots of devpower, so we should be able to. Or throw money at it if we really
have to.

> Andras

Kind regards,

Christian