The chat situation

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Thu Jun 11 14:15:36 BST 2020

The problem with Matrix in KDE is that I'm not even sure someone is actively
working on improving the situation.

I know the KDE sysadmins are not maintaining it and instead, in case of
problem, people should go to #kde-matrix-support:kde.org. So I tried asking
multiple times about why my matrix account doesn't get any message from the
irc and telegram bridge and never got an answer.

Same thing with the lag issue. It could be partially resolved if we were
using the kde.org node instead of the matrix.org for the bridging and it was
asked multiple times in this channel by someone else. But this is still not
solved. I wonder if someone in KDE has some control over it.

The major reason why we chose Matrix was, because it allowed
communication with people still using IRC and was more user friendly. But
actually to be able to interact with those peoples, a new user should
register their nick on Freenode and using this nick on Matrix by using
some commands that need to be repeated every few weeks. I don't think this
process is very user friendly.

Maybe it is the time to consider other open-source alternatives like Mattermost
or Rocket Chat... GNOME did it, Blender did it, we even have a Rocket Chat
client in KDE now!

</bernie at codewiz.org>