The chat situation

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jun 11 12:07:08 BST 2020

On donderdag 11 juni 2020 08:20:55 CEST Kevin Ottens wrote:

> I've not been a good citizen like you and stuck mostly to IRC so I got a
> question out of curiosity (and because I think it'll impact the decision
> making).
>
> Regarding the lags and the breakages, do they happen only to bridged channels?
> Or do they happen also for "pure" Matrix channels as well?

I'm not using matrix either, after some initial trials. When using webchat.kde.org, I find that the "feel" of having a conversation is completely absent, probably because every message takes way too much space. I also don't _want_ to set up encryption to "keep my chats" safe... I've tried to setup a console client, but haven't managed that.

Given that the stated reason to move from irc to matrix was to attract new, younger developers who would be scared away by irc, I wonder if anyone has done any statistics on that? .

--
https://www.krita.org