Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri May 1 21:13:36 BST 2020

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 6:17 AM Alexander Potashev <aspotashev at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 6:47 AM Bhushan Shah <bshah at kde.org> wrote:
> > Use case 4 : Tom is a student in Germany and is interested in
> > contributing to wikitolearn, and he asks where can I find code of the
> > wikitolearn?
>
> Hi,

Hi Alexander,

> I have a similar use case. Sometimes I need to share a URL to a
> project. For this purpose I used to share e.g.
> https://cgit.kde.org/releaseme.git/about
>
> Does this migration make such permalinks impossible?
>

> From what I see, we lose permalinks because
>  1. cgit.kde.org will be discontinued

We provide the commits.kde.org redirector for permanent links.
Anywhere needing a long life link to a particular repository, commit,
etc (like documentation) should be using these links and not anything
else.

>  2. A once valid URL https://invent.kde.org/games/knetwalk may become
> unavailable if the project moves to another group, for example
> https://invent.kde.org/unmaintained/knetwalk

As mentioned by Nicolas, Gitlab maintains redirects so if such a move
were to take place, the above links would continue to work.
The only time this is not the case is when a new repository takes it's place.

> --
> Alexander Potashev

Cheers,
Ben