Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri May 1 15:32:35 BST 2020

On 2020 mayula d. 1id 07:08:41 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:46 AM Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:
> > If I'm understanding things, we have solutions to most or all of the
> > objections raised so far:
> >
> > - Projects will be allowed to live in--or at least appear in--multiple
> > top-level groups (e.g. plasma-framework could appear in both the
> > Frameworks top-level group and also the Plasma top-level group)
>
> Projects will have the option to appear in multiple groups yes.

Forgive me for coming full circle on this discussion, but

- a group can have at most one workboard
- a group offers some facilities for managing issues and reviews that cross
over repositories within that group
- a project (this is one-to-one with "repository", right?) can have as many
workboards as it likes

If a project can appear in more than one group, isn't the whole distinction
between flat and namespaced a little ..

well, how would this proposal fly?

- Put everything in a single group called "kde" (this matches proposal 2 if I
still remember the original numbering right -- flat, but not at top-level)
- Other groups hold things from "kde" (this matches proposal 3, giving more
structure / hierarchy)

People browsing *top* level would see group "kde" (for all I care, bookmark
that one as "I want to browse the list of 1442 repositories") and a bunch of
logical groups based on how the community organizes itself. People working
inside a specific group can do their workboardy-things and focus on the
repositories for that group, while people with an overall interest go to the
KDE group.

Somehow I get the feeling that we started with some technical limitations
which were driving particular choices, where those limitations aren't exactly
what we assumed that they were, and now it looks to me like those limitations
do not have to meaningfully impact *any* of the choices.

(*if* my understanding is correct; I've been wrong enough times already today)

[ade]