Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri May 1 06:08:41 BST 2020

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:46 AM Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:

> If I'm understanding things, we have solutions to most or all of the
> objections raised so far:
>
> - Projects will be allowed to live in--or at least appear in--multiple
> top-level groups (e.g. plasma-framework could appear in both the
> Frameworks top-level group and also the Plasma top-level group)

Projects will have the option to appear in multiple groups yes.

> - kdesrc-build and other scripts can be updated to allow people to
> easily check out repos using git prefixes (e.g. so that something like
> `git clone kde:dolphin` will still work regardlyss of a project's
> underlying group)

The syntax will probably be slightly different to that, but the
concept is correct yes.

> - cgit will continue to exist for three weeks to provide some transition
> time

Correct.

> - Each repo can have its own workboard in addition to the single
> group-level workboard

Correct, just one small clarification: each project (repository) can
have multiple workboards, there is no limit to this.
Groups are limited to a single workboard.

> If the above are accurate, then I firmly support the proposal.
>
> As for the actual grouping, I think it makes sense to have top-level
> groups for Frameworks, Plasma, PIM, etc. as originally proposed. I can
> support putting apps into category-specific groups (e.g. Multimedia,
> Office, Graphics, Games, etc) as long as apps could appear in multiple
> groups if needed for the case of apps that logically span boundaries
> (e.g. repos for PlaMo apps could appear in both the Plasma Mobile
> top-level group and also the relevant app group).
>

> Nate

Cheers,
Ben